Re: [CentOS] I've been hacked -- what should I do next?

On Dec 1, 2006, at 12:45 AM, Alfred von Campe wrote:

enabled port forwarding on my router (so I can access the system from home). Other than deleting these files, is there anything else I should worry about? I'd rather not re-install the OS...

let me add another suggestion to the flood: once you've rebuilt the box, install DenyHosts (http://denyhosts.sourceforge.net/). this tool is quite effective at blocking brute-force ssh attacks; not only will this make it much harder for an attacker even if you should happen to set a weak password on an account in the future, but it will also reduce the amount of CPU time and memory wasted on dealing with brute-force ssh attacks.

RPMs are available at sourceforge; the python 2.3 RPM works great on CentOS 4.

i'm sorry you're having to deal with this. :(

-steve

--
If this were played upon a stage now, I could condemn it as an improbable fiction. - Fabian, Twelfth Night, III,v