Re: [CentOS] Re: Java JDK on CentOS 4.4

yeah, it's actually a no brainer, the file you are looking for is simply a .bin file with a really long name (from Sun's web unique download URL) but I always just rename it to java15.bin or java1564.bin and just ./java15.bin and you agree to the license and it does the rest.

I will try to dig up the URL from Sun, i'd post my package but would rather you trust Sun instead of me as i'm sure they'd appreciate.

-krb

Edward Diener wrote:

Karl R. Balsmeier wrote:

we have been using the 64-bit and 32-bit java 1.4 and 1.5 .bin installers on Centos 4.3, 4.4 with very much success, so if you are looking to get the Java capabilities you might not need to search for an RPM per se.

We keep a very bare machine (no centos java package, etc.) and have a whole step-by-step recipe for getting all the usual java webapps working with very little hassle...

Is there any particular procedure for installing the Java 1,5 on Sun's site to CentOS 4.4 ? I see a Jpackage package called Java-1.5.0-sun-compat but I have no idea what this is or how it is supposed to be used.

Setting up Sun's Java latest 1.5.0 JDK on "that other OS whose name shall not be mentioned" is a no-brainer so it is a bit disappointing that it is more complicated on CentOS 4.4. But maybe it is really as easy as downloading the appropriate file from Sun's site and installing it and I am overestimating any other issues.