Re: [CentOS] Re: IPTables Blocking Brute Forcers

On 17/11/06, Steve Snyder <swsnyder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thursday 16 November 2006 12:10 pm, Brian Marshall wrote:
[snip]
> Does anyone have suggestions on how I can script IPTables or put some
> other security measure in place that could detect brute-forcing and
> reject from their IP?

You can use IPTables to limit the rate of connections.  I allow only 2
connections from a given IP address within each 3 minute period.

That allows for a quick retry when I mis-type the password, but makes for
a very sloooooooow brute force attack.  Most script kiddies aren't
willing to put in that kind of time on a single target.  I hardly ever
see more than 2 attempts to crack my box now.

I know this is sloppy and lazy but can you post your iptables line
that does this?
--
Regards,
Sudev Barar