Re: [CentOS] Re: Using Synaptic with Cent OS 4.4

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006, Johnny Hughes wrote:

On Mon, 2006-11-13 at 17:07 -0500, Edward Diener wrote:
Johnny Hughes wrote:
On Mon, 2006-11-13 at 13:07 -0500, Edward Diener wrote:
Can Synaptic be used successfully on CentOS 4.4 instead of YumEx ? Are
there any issues using Synaptic with the CentOS 4.4 repositories ?

There is a version of apt and synaptic for i386 in the extras
repository... however I would not recommend it.  There are many plugins
for yum that work with yem/yumex that do not work for apt (fastest
mirror, protectbase, etc.,)

So, things like 3rd Party repos and the like become more dangerous in
apt that with yum on CentOS.

Also, apt is ONLY for 1386 distro as the version we have does not do
multilib arches.

The reason I asked is because YumeEx 1.02 does not show the packages
which depend on a given package when I specify a package I want to
remove. In Synaptic when I specify that I want to remove a package I am
immediately shown the packages which depend on it and if I proceed to
remove it, Synaptic automatically removes those packages, but I can
choose to Cancel the removal immediately.

It may be that in YumEx, after adding a package to be removed to the
Queue, does prompt one about the other packages which depend on that
package and automatically removes when I process the Queue, letting me
back out of the removal once I am prompted, but I did not try it for
fear that I might remove a package needed by other packages.

In general I try to keep packages at a minimum for what I will actually
be using on a Linux system, and after an installation I go through the
packages installed and remove any extraneous ones. YumEx appears to make
this much harder than Synaptic. That is why I was hoping that I could
use Synaptic instead.

Yum can not remove items that are needed by other programs ... it will
fail the dependency checks.

One should not remove packages (IMHO) with any GUI tool.  Heck, I don't
even remove packages with yum, but individually and from the command
line.  I could tell you about a machine where I used yum to remove a
file and it's dependencies, didn't pay attention to the file list, and
it tried to remove glibc ... and I can duplicate that same problem in
apt.  (A machine will break part of the way though removing glibc and it
is not pretty :P)

Removing packages with auto dependency resolution is dangerous (IMHO)
and should be avoided.

What do other think about this?

I agree completely. Yum is great for installing packages and their dependencies. It is dangerous to remove packages with yum. I only remove with "rpm -e".

Barry