Re: [CentOS] CentOS 4.4 - Email Out

At 10:46 AM 11/13/2006, Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:
Quoting Tom Brown <tom@xxxxxxxx>:

I need to set some of our boxes to send mail through our smarthost. In
the sendmail.mc file i have set the smarthost and rebuilt the
sendmail.cf file. When i send a mail locally on the box though i get
this error

Diagnostic-Code: SMTP; 553 5.1.8 <root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>... Domain
of sender address root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx does not exist

What else do i need to edit as there is something that talks about
sending from unresolvable domains but this is already allowed i think

FEATURE(`accept_unresolvable_domains')dnl

any ideas ?

The above 553 error was probably generated on your smarthost.

Make sure your host is not called "localhost.localdomain" (in
/etc/sysconfig/network).  Edit /etc/hosts and make sure your host name
is not in the 127.0.0.1 line (put it into separate line with your
host's IP address).

Or even just remove your hostname from the 127.0.0.1 line and DON'T put it in anywhere else.

This business of the installer tossing the host name on the 127.0.0.1 line of /etc/hosts is silly, and results in a known step in every installation of a server that says "go edit /etc/hosts, remove host name". I'm sure it helps something, somewhere, but it makes a mess in server environments.