Re: [CentOS] A new attack

Quoting John Hinton <webmaster@xxxxxxxx>:

David Ellsmore wrote:
John Hinton wrote:
Log report is reporting a lot of these lately.. following is just a short snippet from the beginning on one server.

WARNING!!!!
Possible Attack:
 Attempt from 104.29.broadband2.iol.cz [83.208.29.104] with:
    command=HELO/EHLO, count=3 : 1 Time(s)
 Attempt from 106.7.broadband7.iol.cz [88.102.7.106] with:
    command=HELO/EHLO, count=3 : 1 Time(s)
 Attempt from 106.74.broadband5.iol.cz [88.100.74.106] with:
    command=HELO/EHLO, count=3 : 1 Time(s)
 Attempt from 126.239.broadband7.iol.cz [88.102.239.126] with:
    command=HELO/EHLO, count=3 : 1 Time(s)
 Attempt from 144.Red-80-34-151.staticIP.rima-tde.net [80.34.151.144] with:
    command=HELO/EHLO, count=3 : 1 Time(s)

Could anyone expand on what these folks are actually doing? And if I should be concerned?

To me it looks like something/someone looking for valid email addresses - perhaps to use in an effort to defeat spam filters. It'd be interesting to see what sort of conversation takes place between your server and the attacker, and how close together time wise these are occuring.

I notice the first 5 warnings are from the Czech Republic, and the last one is from Spain. Are you getting these from world wide addresses or just these two countries?
I just snipped out the first five so as not to clog the list. They are
mostly coming from the baltic region of the world (what the heck
country is a .il tld?)... a lot from that one. But also a fair
representation from the largest spamming network in the world.. verizon
who doesn't care one bit

The .il TLD is Israel.

Almost in every case, they are making three attempts.. but I have
sendmail set to pause receiving from a network after 2 bad attempts, so
maybe this would be worse without that entry? I don't really know the
flow of attempts like this on my system.

Just ignore them. If you were to increase logging level, you'd see that first two attempts were either empty or using URL-like argument precded by a bar (attempts EHLO, than HELO). After that it reattempts with real host name, but by that time the count gets to three and Sendmail logs the warning.

--
NOTICE: If you are not intended recipient, you are hereby notified
that by reading this message you agreed not to disturb frogs during