Re: [CentOS] files in a directory limitation

Benjamin Smith wrote:
Don't know what you're after - but I've found that having over about 1024 files in a directory gets sluggish on a number of filesystems.

if you are going to walk through the directory, ext3 is reasonable okay I think ( what's sluggish for you/me? :D ). If you know what file you are after, XFS/reiserfs are fast even when there are hundreds of thousands of files in a directory. I cannot say the same for ext3 + htree.

So when I write code (EG: databases) with file attachments, I use an algorithm that results in < 1024 files per directory.

:) This would work also on FreeBSD boxes too. FreeBSD hashes the first thousand entries. Not sure about the other BSDs or Solaris.