Re: [CentOS] Using perl-Net-SSH-Perl with pubkey authentication underCGI.

On 02/11/06, Marc <wia@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
hey Will,

Hi Marc, thanks for responding.

We don't use keychain, but we do use Net::SSH::Perl through apache
on CentOS and RHEL.

The reason I'm using Keychain is to provide passwordless
authentication whilst still having passworded private keys, if you can
see where I'm coming from.

Couple questions.  Can you become the apache user and manually
ssh into  cgissh@target with/without a password?   If so can you
manually run your script outside of apache?   No group or other write
permission set on any of the directories above your keys?  Anything
in syslog on the ssh server side concerning why permission was
denied?

Yep, SSH from client to target as the intended users is OK, as
allowing CGIs to connect to other systems and run command isn't an
ideal situation security-wise I've been very strict with permissions
and ownerships, but it does work and I've loosened them just on the
off chance it was a permissions thing.

Here's a snippet of me su - ing and connecting to the target system...

[root@webdev1 ~]# su - apache

KeyChain 2.5.1; http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/keychain/
Copyright 2002-2004 Gentoo Foundation; Distributed under the GPL

* Found existing ssh-agent (4189)
* ssh-agent: All identities removed.
* Adding 1 ssh key(s)...
Enter passphrase for /var/www/.ssh/id_dsa:
Identity added: /var/www/.ssh/id_dsa (/var/www/.ssh/id_dsa)

[apache@webdev1 ~]$ ssh -p2251 -lcgissh manlvs1 hostname
manlvs1b

Running the CGI script from the command line behaves the same, i.e. it
connects, executes 'hostname' and returns the correct response.

I will say that once you get it working, make sure you have the
following perl modules installed.  It will drastically increase the
speed of your handshaking.  At least it did for us.

Crypt-DH 0.03  (Yes, older version)
IO
Math-BigInt-GMP

I had noticed a _considerable_ speed overhead using Net::SSH::Perl but
I'd put that aside as something to address once I've got it working as
expected, I'll have a look at those modules, thanks.

Will.