[CentOS] Terminal settings question.

Hiya folks,

Maybe someone can help me with this question.

I'm a long time mutt user. However in recent years, I have been a member of an increasing number of mail lists. And an increasing number of mail list users are starting to use special characters in their emails that my terminal is not understanding correctly. When it doesn't understand the character correctly, it starts to interfere with the repaints when I scroll around through messages or through the indexes.

As an example, I believe it was this list where there was recently a discussion regarding Core Duo which included a fancy symbol for (tm) in the subject line. This thread was the straw that broke the camel's back so to speak and I'm now an unhappy Thunderbird user as opposed to a happy mutt user.

So. Clearly I have something set incorrectly so that Mutt (and/or the terminal I am using) do not understand the special characters. Can anyone point me in the right direction to find the answer as to how to fix this so that I can ditch Thunderbird and go back to Mutt?

Thanks for your time.

 /\oo/\
/ /()\ \ David Mackintosh | dave@xxxxxxxxxx