Re: [CentOS] 4.4 versas AS and ES

I am a new user of Centos and have started the process of becoming
informed as to what centos can do. Sorry to ask a simple question but
can you tell me where centos 4.4 compares with Red Hat Enterpres AS or
ES?

There is no technical difference between RHEL AS and RHEL ES. The difference is in what Red Hat will or will not support as far as the number of CPUs and the amount of RAM in a system. RHEL 4 ES and RHEL 4 AS can both support the hardware listed for RHEL AS. The difference is that if you call Red Hat and have support for RHEL ES and you have more than 2 physical processors or more than 16 GB of RAM they will tell you that you are running an unsupported configuration. If you are running RHEL 4 AS with the same configuration, you are running a supported configuration.

These issues do not plague CentOS. You can expect CentOS 4 to run hardware up to the same configuration of RHEL 4 AS.

Barry