Re: [CentOS] Dual Opteron or Dual Xeon?

On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 at 12:15pm, Feizhou wrote

You will do better to get an Opteron based server. Opterons handle SSL faster, in fact much faster, than Intel Xeon processors not to mention that I/O on an Opteron box is better too. Stay away from Woodcrest Xeon servers. The US Government and a large korean ISP have had stability problems with Woodcrest servers.

Do you have any more details on said stability problems (e.g. hardware specs, etc)? I've been very impressed with the Woodcrest Xeon tester I've got -- in fact, it bests my Opterons in almost every benchmark I throw at it, and it's been rock solid. I'm leaning pretty hard in that direction for my next cluster upgrade.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering