Re: [CentOS] CUPS Problem

On 18/10/06, Aleksandar Milivojevic <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Quoting Nigel Kendrick <support-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>> When setting up a raw queue on the CentOS box, it might be necessary to
> edit couple of files in /etc/cups.
>>
>> mime.convs - uncomment this line:
>>
>> #application/octet-stream       application/vnd.cups-raw        0
>>
>> mime.types - uncomment this line:
>>
>> #application/octet-stream
>

> I was going to suggest this as it seems to always fix printing problems with
> me. Just a few additional notes:
>
> 1) After editing file: service cups restart
>
> 2) If you do a yum update and there's any update done to cups, a default
> instance of the above file is put back in place and you have to re-edit the
> file.

I think I once managed to make the change permanent.  But can't
remember anymore what exactly I did.  It was long long time ago.
Something like checking I want the queue to be raw somewhere in
system-config-printer.  I think.  Can't find it anymore.

You could always make the required changes and "chattr +i" the relevant config?

Though I don't know what an RPM upgrade would do in that case where it
would *normally* overwrite, would it create an .rpmnew? Might be worth
testing.

Will.