Re: [CentOS] CentOS 2.1 on i586

On Oct 15, 2006, at 2:22 PM, Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:

I've just attempted to reinstall my ancient laptop that has Pentium MMX processor. Since it is ancient, I've decided to go with CentOS 2.1. Got stuck, installer claims I need at least i686. Hmmm... I know that 3.8 and 4.4 work without a glitch on i586, so this came as surprise. I even thing original RHEL2.1 might had support for i586 too (but I might be wrong).

Anyhow, what happened with i586 in CentOS 2.1?

RHEL 2.1 and later, to my knowledge, do not install on anything older than i686. When I needed to install RHEL 2.1 on one of these systems, I had to temporarily install on newer hardware, replace the GLIBC, SSL, etc with their 386 equivalents. Since we weren't using a RH kernel, we just placed ours compiled for 486 onto the disk, backed it up, and was able to run it on older hardware.

I may have seen postings about CentOS being compiled for older hardware, but I haven't looked it up, or tried it myself, since my own hardware I've run Centos on is newer than that.