Re: [CentOS] x84_64 distro: Really worth it ?

Rodrigo Barbosa wrote:

I have so far avoided using the x86_64 distro, sticking to 32 bits on all
my servers.

My question for all using the 64bits distro is: is it really worth it ?
What kind of applications are you running, and what kind of _real_
gain did you have ?

Note: All my servers are 2GB RAM or less.

I have avoided 64-bit CentOS until very recently even though I have a lot of servers that are capable of running it. That avoidance has been mostly the result of my own paranoia about not wanting to "fix" things that aren't broken combined with the fact that I didn't have any applications that seemed to "want" 64-bit CentOS in order to get a performance benefit. Recently, I decided to take the plunge on a couple of new systems as they all had at least 4 64-bit cores, 2-4gb RAM, and large disk arrays and one of my newer applications seems to work better with 64-bit Linux (so I'm told...it actually seems less stable to me).

I haven't noticed any real benefit and I also haven't noticed any problems since these are all server systems. I suspect all the gotchas come into play when you want to run desktop/workstation applications that might not have been cleaned up for 64-bits yet...especially if they're only available as binaries.

Cheers,