Re: [CentOS] 2TB limit, weird mounting issues on reboot

Peter Kjellström wrote:
On Thursday 05 October 2006 12:58, chrism@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
John Newbigin wrote:
You can not have a DOS partition larger than 2Tb.  parted will create
one and tell the kernel about the size which works.... until you
reboot and then the partition is 2Tb smaller than it should be because
the partition table can not store the MSB of your partition size.

The solution is to use LVM or GPT partitions.
Right.

The procedure should look something like this:

/sbin/parted /dev/yourdevice
(parted) mklabel gpt
(parted) print
Disk geometry for /dev/etherd/yourdevice: 0kB - 3001GB
Disk label type: gpt
(parted) mkpart primary 0 3001G
(parted) quit

Now build the filesystem.  I normally use:

mke2fs -j -b 4096 /dev/yourdevice

I'm sure you meant /dev/yourdevice1, assuming that the first gpt paratition of yourdevice is just appended a "1" like with old style dos partition (I've only done this with lvm whole disks).

or 2 or 3 or ....

use the device name (without partition number) when you run parted. For mke2fs use the device name (including the trailing number) for the actual partition you want to fondle...whatever it happens to be on your system.

Cheers,