Re: [CentOS] Calling All FS Fanatics

Kirk Bocek wrote:
Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
I seem to have maxed out at approximately 275mb/sec on writes and about
200mb/sec on reads with the following configuration:

Dual opteron 275's
2gb RAM (4 x 512mb)
3Ware 9550SX w/8 ports
8 x 750gig barracudas (RAID 0)
2 x 80gig seagates for the OS
ncq off
9550 set to "performance" rather than "balanced" on the storsave or
whatever that parameter was called
ext3 file system with "blockdev --setra 16384"  <-- great find!
CentOS 4.4 64-bit

I'm too chicken/paranoid/etc to fiddle with XFS since I'm cpu bound most
of the time (encoding/fondling uncompressed video).  At some point, I'll
switch the array over to RAID5 so there is some sort of safety net, but
right now I'm working with play data so it doesn't really matter.

3Ware's site seems to point to 300+MB/Sec with 8 disks so it sounds like
you're close. Read speed seems low. As I said, enabling memory
interleaving on my motherboard and setting the drives to 3GB/Sec made a
big difference.

8x750 Gig! I still remember when a friend bought his first 512MB drive and
I asked him what he was going to do with all that space! Of course that
was long before any thought of video on a PC...

I just updated with a newer motherboard bios and enabled memory interleaving and now I'm getting 201mb/sec for writes and 317mb/sec for reads. I think that's definitely fast enough for me to stop fiddling with it. :-)

Cheers,