Re: [CentOS] Trimming the fat out of a Centos 4.4 Installation

Erick Perez wrote:
Hi, just to avoid re-inventing the wheel, is there any document that
can help me reduce even further a "minimum" installation of Centos 4.4
(BTW can you say 600mb is minimum)?

it is yes, the base minimum is what App and Solution vendors are then able to assume will be the minimum functional level of a machine, running CentOS.

I am in the process of creating a small Centos-4.4-based Asterisk box
and I need to boot it from a CF card. Deleting useless packages will
help me do what i want.
Example: even a minimum install of Centos 4.4 (or Redhat EL for what
is worth) includes CUPS, among other things.

it comes from the LSB compatibility specifications. cups is required as is a MTA and a bunch of other things.

if you really want to trim down, get yum going and rpm -qa, check what you dont want, then remove it.

- KB