Re: [CentOS] iptables console login

Thank you very much for your concern.
Here is a snapshot of my syslog.conf file (pound sign already exists)

# Log all kernel messages to the console.
# Logging much else clutters up the screen.
#kern.*                                                 /dev/console

# Log anything (except mail) of level info or higher.
# Don't log private authentication messages!
*.info;mail.none;authpriv.none;cron.none                /var/log/messages

# The authpriv file has restricted access.
authpriv.*                                              /var/log/secure

# Log all the mail messages in one place.
mail.*                                                  -/var/log/maillog

# Log cron stuff
cron.*                                                  /var/log/cron

# Everybody gets emergency messages
*.emerg                                                 *

# Save news errors of level crit and higher in a special file.
uucp,news.crit                                          /var/log/spooler

# Save boot messages also to boot.log
local7.*                                                /var/log/boot.log

Hameed

Feizhou wrote:
Abd El-Hameed Ayad wrote:
Peace,
   I have messages like (on a centos 3.8 box)

NET: 21 messages suppressed.
martian source 10.255.255.255 from 10.0.0.138, on dev eth0

on my screen.  In the same time it is being logged to a file.
Are there any way to stop the logging of these messages on the console and still logged to a file (/var/log/messages)

Add a pound sign to the head of any lines that end in /dev/console in /etc/syslog.conf

eg:

#kern.*                                                 /dev/console

If you really want all kernel messages logged to a file, you can change the above to point to /var/log/kern (that is, you don't have to comment it out with a pound sign) and create appropriate entries in the log rotation configuration.