Re: [CentOS] backup server..

Hi Sebastien
(1.) In terms of backup, I'd like to have a cron sending out an nightly
incremental backup of user files.
* In regards to nightly incremental backups, we simply use the rsync utility to pull the backups from a server onto the backup host also running linux
I'd also like to have HDA to be copied
backed up entirely (maybe weekly) onto HDB (were're not going to use
140GB anyway!) so that is hda crashes, I`d swap both of the hdds and
boot from the backup.
I would highly advise simply paying the money for a RAID Controller card to handle all of this for you. You mentioned that you do not have physical access to the server, so the Raid card can easily handle hdd failures and send you an email letting you know that you need to replace the other drive.
Now for that second step, I was reading that dd
was quite CPU intensive? Would there be other alternatives? Advices on
doing backups?
As above, we use the 3ware 8000 series raid cards because of its great track record (we always have and always will use 3ware) and freebsd / linux support.

(2.) I've got no physical access to the box, and the box has obviously
no video or sound. Considering this, would it possible to remotely
administer the box using VNC in a GUI environment? - I figured 2Ghz
could probably handle me starting x sometimes...! So if possible.. How
would I do it? I`m assuming there are no `yum install x`....
Never a good idea to run X when you dont need to. All Administration can be done via config files on the command-line and any system-config gui programs usually have a commandline replacement anyway. But if you really wanted X check out 'yum grouplist' and 'yum groupinstall "X Window System"'
Anyway.. Thanks for any input you may have on the both topics!

Cheers,
Seb.