Re: [CentOS] Another Tar stopper

Will McDonald wrote:
On 12/09/06, Robert Moskowitz <rgm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Will McDonald wrote:
> On 12/09/06, Ralph Angenendt <ra+centos@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Will McDonald wrote:
>> > I'd send STDOUT and STDERR to separate logs for brevity's sake.
>> > Something like...
>> >
>> > tar czvf $destfile $tobetarred > /tmp/tarlog.std 2> /tmp/tarlog.err
>>
>> If you want to have it brief - why the "v"?
>
> Pedant. :)
>
> What I *meant* was then all the errors would be in one place, all the
> standard messages in an other, which is kinda brevity.
OK.  I used the following:

tar -cpvzO / --exclude-from=/home/not-file 2>/tmp/tarlog.err | ssh
user@ipaddrs "cat > backup.tgz"

No messages went to the screen.  tarlog.err is 4Mb large.  Looked at it
for error messages.

NONE!  not even the one I was getting before routing stderr.out.  I did
a the -l option, but that should not result in no error messages...

So now what?

Confused.

It appears when you tar to STDOUT it redirects the usual STDOUT
messages to STDERR, in addition to the errors, so I guess a separate
error log when tar-ing to STDOUT's out.

[wmcdonald@stella /]$ tar cpvzO /proc/ 1> /tmp/proc.stdout 2>/tmp/proc.stderr
[wmcdonald@stella /]$ file /tmp/proc.*
/tmp/proc.stderr: ASCII text
/tmp/proc.stdout: gzip compressed data, from Unix
[wmcdonald@stella /]$
ah, will try this tomorrow.
Dropping the 'O' option and using - behaves the same...
Is there an advantage of one over the other? Origin note I found had the '-' and I changed it to 'O'

[wmcdonald@stella /]$ tar cpvz - /proc/ 1> /tmp/proc.stdout 2>/tmp/proc.stderr
[wmcdonald@stella /]$ file /tmp/proc.*
/tmp/proc.stderr: ASCII text
/tmp/proc.stdout: gzip compressed data, from Unix

Will.