Re: [CentOS] Re: wiping of unused space on ext3

Ron Yorston wrote:
"Mindaugas" <mind@xxxxx> wrote:
 I was asked if it is possible to zero unused space in ext3 partition?

I have a couple of patches that add a zerofree mount option to ext2 and
ext3 filesystems.  The ext2 version is much better tested and more
complete:  it zeros all file data blocks, directory blocks and extended
attributes (though not inode data).  The ext3 patch only handles file
data, not metadata.

I've been meaning to submit these to LKML, but since you ask let's give
them an airing here first.

Ron,

thanks for these patch's - I dont think we can have them included in any official centos-repository hosted kernel, but its good to know that people, should they need this, can get to them here.

- K