Re: [CentOS] wiping of unused space on ext3

On 9/7/06, Mindaugas <mind@xxxxx> wrote:

  Hello,

  I was asked if it is possible to zero unused space in ext3 partition?

  Users write to the server via Samba and are far from computer geeks so
teaching them to use some safedelete utility is quite impossible.

A safedelete may not work via samba anyway. It doesn't work very well
on Windows Native CIFS shares from what my forensics friends have told
me.

  Is there some way or utility to wipe out all the data from unused space?

For the simplest level of 'wiping' you can try the following:

make sure your samba share is its own physical partition seperate from
say /var, etc.

have a regular job that runs at off hours and does the following:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/my/local/filesystem/zero_file

when dd dies from lack of space remove /my/local/filesystem/zero_file

It wont be DOD regs but it will give some level of cleanliness [where
level is better than nothing, but not much.] Your big problem will be
that this can/will cause problems with clients that are writing
regular data to that disk.

  Thanks,

  Mindaugas