Re: [CentOS] remote file access,

On Sep 6, 2006, at 10:49 AM, kai wrote:

Thanks for the answers, I agree that imap may be right, but my dns supplier has a quota at 40MB. I like to keep my mails, additional to my privat I am following several mailing list, separated, so the quota is way to small. I feel like the best for me is to move my domain here, setting up my own server. I have been using djbdn and qmail earlier, but would like to change to something more standard, I should manage though, but I am a little afraid of the work load setting things up.

So my question at the moment boils down to, witch supplier of dynamic dns service to use, that also mx forward without to many restrictions.

I've had very good experiences with ZoneEdit (http:// www.zoneedit.com/). They give you up to 5 domains at no charge with a reasonable array of services, their web interface is simple and straightforward, and I haven't been unable to do something DNS- related that I wanted to do. Their DDNS update mechanism can be implemented with a one-line invocation of wget, suitable for running via cron; no special client is necessary.

I would also recommend looking into Rollernet (http://rollernet.us/) for secondary DNS and secondary MX service. They also provide a reasonable range of service at no charge (though, as with ZoneEdit, you need to pay for some of the advanced functionality). It's a great relief to know that if I have to take my mail server down for maintenance I won't miss any mail.

Finally, if you want to run your own server, I recommend the Qmail Toaster (http://www.qmailtoaster.com/). It's a turnkey solution that runs perfectly on CentOS and provides far more capabilities than the stock packages do.

-steve

--
If this were played upon a stage now, I could condemn it as an improbable fiction. - Fabian, Twelfth Night, III,v