Re: [CentOS] very new user having problems

barbaara fberg wrote:
I could not wait to get home today to try your suggestions.
I did not know how to open a console window so tried emax text editor and text editor. Then I use used the system settings and went to network and put in the password to get to network config.

Hit Alt+F2. Type gnome-terminal or konsole to get a console window.

I checked the box on the left and checked activate. a box came up checking my connection
it failed no link present.  I must have the numbers in the wrong places.
I will call my internet connection and see what numbers I have messed up.
Sorry this has been so hard and taken so much time.

Is there a green light that is on on the port where the network cable is plugged in?

Type mii-tool in the console window and let us know what it says.

It should be something like this:

[root@localhost ~]# mii-tool
eth0: negotiated 100baseTx-FD, link ok

I had to wait to used my husband's machine when he was napping.
24 years ago just before he got out of the service they found cancer and fixed it. It came back more aggressively and he has had chemo each week. 4 more weeks to go. so he was resting a lot over the holiday before he has to do it again.

I am sorry to hear about your husband's condition. I hope he has the strength to see it through this time round.