Re: [CentOS] OT - backup question/advice

Thomas E Dukes wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: centos-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:centos-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Mark Weaver
Sent: Tuesday, September 05, 2006 9:11 PM
To: CentOS mailing list
Subject: Re: [CentOS] OT - backup question/advice

Thomas E Dukes wrote:
Hello,

I have been using mondorescue to backup to dvd for several
months now
without any problems.

Since upgrading to Centos 4.4, I now receive a few errors.
The errors
are for files in /var/named/chroot/proc. I guess these
files change
so when I do a differntial backup they aren't there and result in errors. (Never got any errors before and I think these files were there in 4.3) If I exclude the files from the backup, no errors.

My question is what, if any problems would I run into not backing these files up and having to do a complete system restore?

TIA,

Eddie
You shouldn't run into any problems really since files within "proc" aren't really there to begin with; they're resident in memory only and disappear when the machine shuts down or reboots.

--
Mark

Thanks, Mark!

Kinda what I figured but wanted a second opinion.  The errors I received
were 'files not found'.  So this answers my question.

Again, thanks!

Eddie

no problem. personally I've always wondered why the proc file system exists at all as part of the file system. ya can't do anything with it; it's more of a tease than anything else. When I first started with Linux years ago I wasn't aware of it's "specialness" and looked like the monkey with his fist in a jar trying to do things with those "files" in there. ;P

--
Mark

"If you have found a very wise man, then you've found
a man that at one time was an idiot and lived long enough
to learn from his own stupidity."