Re: [CentOS] Yum upgrade to 4.4 problem

Johnny Hughes wrote:
On Thu, 2006-08-31 at 16:43 +0100, Will McDonald wrote:
On 31/08/06, Bowie Bailey <Bowie_Bailey@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Will McDonald wrote:

>From your second link:
   Yes, I did get lots of duplicate packages but I've already fixed
   that.  Basically, what I did was to run Adam Stoke's script to
   remove duplcate packages. It can be located at
   http://astokes.org/?q=node/49

That website is no longer working.  Is there still a copy of this
script floating around?
Not that I could find unfortunaltey. I've just done...

[root@willspc ~]# for package in `rpm -qa --qf "%{NAME}.%{arch}\n" |
sort | uniq -d | grep -v kernel`;
do
  rpm -q $package;
done

Which lists all base duplicated packages (though at least kernel and
gpg-pubkey are this way by design I believe). Then manually removed
the older packages. You could THORETICALLY do...

# for duppackage in `rpm -qa --qf "%{NAME}.%{arch}\n" | sort | uniq -d
| grep -Ev '(kernel)|(gpg-pubkey)'`;
do
  for olderpackage in `rpm -q $duppackage | head -1`
  do
    rpm -e $olderpackage;
  done
done

WARNING: ^^^^ That's entirely untested and reliant on the ordering
from rpm output, which looks consistent but I couldn't *swear* to it.
So be careful! :)

Will.

personally, I would remove the new package and re-update in case
something in cleanup is required for proper operations.

what does everyone think.

Not trying to jinx myself, but I have never had this problem using
centos on hundreds of servers.

I've never had this type of problem either, but paranoia is setting in since I've got a couple of key machines that happen to be in difficult to reach locations if something should wedge the machine. To date, I've just thrown caution to the wind and remotely updated everything since I've always had a remote helper at the various datacenters to pick up the pieces if anything blew up (which has never happened to date).

Cheers,