Re: [CentOS] Yum upgrade to 4.4 problem

I have the same problem here...
Anyone has something to say about this?
Thanks.
Julio.

Simen Thoresen wrote:
CentOS 4.3 (SMP, x86_64, Athlon64 X2) with all pre-4.4 release updates applied.

Since I ran into the Yum issue at the previous upgrade, I first did
yum upgrade   to get the list of packages (6 to install, 206 to update).
I then did
yum upgrade yum     (which passed without issues)
yum upgrade sqlite  (which passed without isseus).

Fairly certain that yum now works correctly, I wanted to just do another small upgrade before doing the rest, and did
yum upgrade samba

[root@naboens ~]# yum upgrade samba
Setting up Upgrade Process
Setting up repositories
<no progress>

This seemed to hang, and a look at top showed yum consuming more and more memory, the system starting to swap and bog down and then become unresponsive (all swap exhausted, I was not quick enough to kill yum).

I was able to reproduce this on a different machine (also x86_64, SMP and Athlon64 X2), so it seems to be an actual problem. As I can play around a bit more on this machine, I tried doing a yum upgrade (without specifying samba) and it behaves the same (ie yum consuming increasing amounts of memory while "Reading repository metadata (etc)".

Has anyone else experienced and been able to resolve this?

-S