Re: [CentOS] Switching off color on console

in /etc/DIR_COLORS change line "color tty" to "color none"

The notion of color is part of the terminal capabilities. And the answer should be, change the default TERM environment variable to linux-m instead of linux.

Ye, ye ... but where to set that console is linux-m for default ---

Still I looked for the proper place to set the TERM environment and I could not find where one should put it. Either mingetty should be told (which apparently is not possible) or one can do it conditionally based on tty being used.

Both will not change the colors seen during the boot process. Maybe this is a good question for Red Hat's knowledgebase or bugzilla ?

It probably is a kernel boot parameter.

With color during bootime, respectively INIT time I can help you ...

from /etc/sysconfig/init

# color => new RH6.0 bootup
# verbose => old-style bootup
# anything else => new style bootup without ANSI colors or positioning
#BOOTUP=color
BOOTUP=verbose
# Turn on graphical boot
#GRAPHICAL=yes