Re: [CentOS] Kind of OT: internal imap server

sendmail - No longer the security nightmare it used to be, but it is
	   the slower of the bunch.

are we talking about sendmail X? ;)

postfix  - The easiest to configure. Has enough features and speed
           to keep most people happy.

hmm...i don't know...qmail appears to me to be the easiest of them all due to its utter simplicity (and lack of features/necessary behavior)

exim     - Fast and powerful. Lots of features and highly configurable.
           But ONLY if you know very well what you are going. Not as
	   hard as sendmail to configure (think sendmail.cf), but
           much harder than postfix. Expecially recomended for people
	   (like me) that enjoy micromanaging and customizing every
           small detail. ACL features are a god given.

I must take a look at exim one of these days.

qmail    - (Take with a grain of salt, since I dislike dbj) A pain.
           It is fast and secure, as long as you use the stock
           package. But you will need to include several external
           packages to get even basic functionality, and everything
           about it (except SMTP protocol itself) is non standard,
	   and the configuration is spread between a lot of files
           and directories. But it really is fast (slightly faster
           than exim in some cases, about the same in others).

You could run qmail-smtpd out of xinetd...and run qmail without daemontools and log to syslog. But if you are into djb's stuff you do end up using the rest of his good stuff.

As you can see, I use Exim so, again, take another grain of salt.
My current exim setup is, as far as I know, impossible to reproduce
with any other MTA, unless you use several external hacks (multiple
instances with different configurations, with port redirection, to
name just one).

When you say multiple instances, I assume multiple queues too?

But most of the time, when recomending a MTA to others, I say
postfix.

:D - qmail not suitable for today's Internet as an MX mta without patching and sendmail a pain to learn/understand if you are not familiar with m4