Re: [CentOS] Struggling with javac

John Hinton wrote:
Seán O Sullivan wrote:
John Hinton wrote:
javac -classpath /usr/local/tomcat/common/lib/servlet.jar HelloWorld.java

as instructed fails with a

gij: unrecognized option -- `-classpath'
Try `gij --help' for more information.

I'm making some progress (digress?). Doing the same thing on a CentOS 4 server, everything works as expected. This is my bet. I think the deal with Java being removed from RHEL during the version 3 days left some breakage. I'm guessing but I bet this came about as a result of the Sun's lawsuit against Microsoft for developing it own non-compatible jvm. It seemed to happen at about the same time. I notice you do have to go through the licensing screens to install jdk.. which I bet is why it can't be included in RHEL?

I also notice that Sun has announced a plan to make Java SE available as open-source code.. so maybe we'll have the ability to again do an install via the OS and it will be back into the hands of the upstream provider with regards initial installation, configuration and updating. I guess we'll see as the dust settles in Sun's final decisions.

Looking at removing the libgcj package brought up lots of dependency issues which might take a bit of time to sort through and maybe break something I don't know about.. so.. I'm jumping ship! Instead of pursuing this install on CentOS 3, I'm heading on over to one of my v4 boxes. I hope I've poked, prodded, drops files all over the place, rewritten config after config... maybe I'll actually get a clean first time install and have this up and running tonight <fingers crossed>.

Thanks for the input.

John Hinton