Re: [CentOS] Kind of OT: internal imap server

Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I'm running a Postfix+Dovecot+SpamAssassin box in a DMZ.  Everything is
honkey dorey.
Lately I've been thinking about moving Dovecot (for IMAP) into the
internal network - I'd rather not store my mail on the CentOS 4 host in
the DMZ.

Why?

Not having done this before, I'm not quite sure what options I have.
Also, I don't know if this is a good idea at all.  So:

1. Should I just leave mail storage on the same box in the DMZ?

Tell us why you want to move first.

2. If the answer to 1 is no, what's the best way to get mail from the
SMTP server in the DMZ to an IMAP server in the internal network?
Here's what I've briefly considered:

   DMZ Postfix+SpamAssassin -> Internal Postfix+Dovecot
   DMZ Postfix+SpamAssassin -> Internal Fetchmail+Dovecot

Forget this. Answer the question first and then you can come to this after you also consider your hardware.

3. Any tutorials for this out there, or even articles, etc., discussing
using Postfix as a gateway?  So far, I haven't found any that I've
liked.

It is a little bit involved. But first answer the question of why you want to move before we explore this.