Re: [CentOS] Nvidia Geforce 5200 graphic card

Philip Wyett wrote:
On Thu, 2006-08-17 at 05:45 +0530, Sudev Barar wrote:
On 17/08/06, Philip Wyett <philipwyett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[SNIP]
 * Download the .run driver file to a location of your choosing.
 * Obtain root privileges using 'su -' and entering the root password.
 * Open and edit '/etc/inittab' with your preferred editor and change
   the line:

    id:5:initdefault:

    id:3:initdefault:

   This will change your runlevel from 5 (graphical) to 3 (text). Save
   the changes and exit the editor.

 * Reboot your machine.
[SNIP]
 * Now back at the prompt, type 'exit' to logout from the root account.
 * Do the three finger salute i.e. 'Ctrl + Alt + Delete' to reboot.

[SNIP]

Excellent howto but..

Are the two reboots needed? Why not stop gdm/kdm/whatever from console
while logged in as root and do the install and edits and then again
restart. You can simply do this by giving command "telinit 3" while
logged in as root from "Alt+Ctl+f1" (console 1) and again "telinit 5"
to restart.

or am I going wrong somewhere?

As I explained you can use telinit, but for me it's just a preference
not to and I feel the method I used is easier for new comers who really
don't need the shortcuts so early in their Linux lives.

Regards

Phil
to learn others bad practice (restarting the system if not necessary is one of them) is not good - especially if they are newcomers; not to mention that what Sudet Barar suggested is much faster and easier.

Lec