Re: [CentOS] Video Card Not Recognized Installing CentOS 3.7

On 8/14/06, Corwin Burgess <msgclb@xxxxxxx> wrote:
I set up a new system that includes the following:

ASUS AE8N-E Motherboard (NVIDIA nForce 4 Ultra Chipset)
AMD Athlon 64 3800+ Processor
OCZ PC3200 Gold Edition 1GB Memory
EVGA GeForce 6600 PCI-Express x16 Video Card
CentOS 3.7

Centos 3.7 is current, but old. You probably want to install 4.3, as
it has more recent software and is more updated.

The video card wasn't detected and I had to use the VESA driver
(generic) when I installed CentOS 3.7. As this is the first time I've
used a NVIDIA video card with Linux my knowledge is nil on this subject.
After a quick review of the available video drivers that come with
CentOS 3.7 I did a Google search and came up with this link:

 http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_ia32_1.0-8762.html

 Linux Display Driver - IA32
 Version: 1.0-8762
 Operating System: Linux IA32
 Release Date: May 22, 2006

This is what you want if you're running the i386 version of centos. If
you're running x86_64, then you want the the x86_64 driver.

You may also need the nforce drivers, which should be on the same page.

1. How do I exit the X server to install this video driver?

ctrl+alt+f1
log in, and su - to root. (note that the - in the command is crucial)
then type 'telinit 3'

This will close the x server and put you back to your prompt. You may
have to hit enter or start typing to actually see the prompt line
again.
cd to driver location, run script.

2. How do I restart the X server when the driver is installed?

after the driver is in, and you've made the necessary changes to
/etc/X11/xorg.conf (for centos4.... and you made a backup of the
original right?) you can restart the X server by running 'telinit 5'

Any other comments about this subject would be welcome.

You'll need the kernel-devel package installed for this to succeed on
centos4, and the kernel-source rpm installed on centos3. You'll also
need gcc, and a couple other packages installed. I'd really go with
centos4 unless you have something keeping you at centos 3.

George Orwell