Re: [CentOS] Several files's checksum change without reason

Peter Kjellström wrote:
On Saturday 12 August 2006 19:10, kadafax wrote:
Hi list,
I'm a bit worried here. On a server, Centos 4.3 fully-patched SELinux
activated, Osiris (a decentralized scanner for files changes on distant
servers) signaled me several changes on files who were not (at first
sight) affected by a recent update (the list is below).
Is there a logic explanation for those changes to happen ? The "rpm -Va"
command does not output md5sum change for those files.

most likely prelink, rpm -V knows about prelink and is as such able to do the checksums regardless. prelink can be turned of in /etc/sysconfig/prelink if you don't want it.

/Peter

Indeed the /var/log/prelink.log file shows changes related to my concern.
I've looked at /usr/share/doc/prelink-0.3.3/prelink.pdf and one of the first thing said is that "it speeds up the launch of Open Office by 5 sec on a p3 650Mhz" ... Of course it doesn't only do that, but I'm not sure I really need it. Are there real advantages of using prelink in Centos for server purpose ? (actually a ssh gateway, but it's the same on a mail server)
Thanks.
kfx.