Re: [CentOS] Official Java

Ted Miller wrote:
What is the official method to install Java on Centos?  I searched, but
could find no mention of Java on the Web site.

I don't know about "official," but what I normally do is install Sun's JDK, then the compatibility package from jpackage.org. The Sun stuff out of the box does not work with the "alternatives" system in CentOS, but the jpackage package fixes that up and sets up a more "sane" environment. The name is usually something like 'java-{version}-sun-compat-{version and release}, you will find it under the "non-free" section of the jpackage.org web site. This package provides symlinks and directories to make the vendor-provided JDK play nice.

Don't be put off by the "non-free" part, it just means that the packages require "encumbered" components (like Sun's JDK) to be rebuilt or installed. Official has nothing to do with it, but I find that it is a bit "cleaner" than just the Sun-provided JDK.

Hope that helps!
--
Jay Leafey - Memphis, TN
jay.leafey@xxxxxxxxxxxx