Re: [CentOS] Newer version of Gnome?

Karanbir Singh wrote:
Robert Moskowitz wrote:
I have 2.8.0 from the base repro. I am running yumex with the Plus, DAG, kbsingh, and jpackage repros. None of which offer a newer version of Gnome.

all repo's will stay clear of Base packages, since thats the distro really.
Except for CentosPlus?
And within base there will never actually be an upgrade of that sort, the reason its called a Stable / Enterprise distro. So things work, unpredictability, for a long period of time.
Don't you mean predictably? Even if it is not the predictably you are looking for? ;-)

But this is something that I understood getting into Centos....
What is the problem that you are facing at this time ?
In Firefox 1.5 (which comes from the 'Installed' repo even though 1.0.8 is the version on the 4.3 iso), I do not have the choice when saving an html page to save the complete page (all images and such in a sub-directory) or 'only' the html page. I had this option on XP. Of course one advantage (but maybe not 'of course') is that I can go back and delete this sub-directory and all of the files. If I did that on XP, I also saw the html file get deleted. XP has them linked so they share fate (including copying and moving).

On the gnome-list I was told that the choice is there with Gnome 2.14 on Ubuntu 6.06. Thus I suspect it is a Gnome feature.

With the Thunderbird 1.5 (also upgraded from 1.0.8 via the Install repo) I do not have the Thunderbird icon on an executing copy of Thunderbird, even when I link the icon from inside the thunderbird program in the program launcher.

Then there are things that I cannot figure out on Gnome that should 'work' or be there. I cannot change the program launched via the applications launcher in applications:/// The changes do not 'take' even though these files are in my home directory and I have permission to them.

And I cannot figure out how to have a drawer show text instead of icons. And so far I have not found help for that via google searches (or answers on the gnome-list).