Re: [CentOS] Statistics on stability?

On 7/24/06, Jim Perrin <jperrin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  You surely want them, but I can't see why it's a bad concept-- "Distro X
> has published Y weekly MB of updates on average over the last year" is just
> a fact.

Distro X has had 650MB of updates over the course of the last 4 months.
Distro Y has had 130MB of updates over the same period.

Which one is more secure or stable?

Y is, per my former definition, more stable. As for security, stability has nothing to do with it, nor I am at the moment interested in it, nor am I pretending to derive any quality assessment from this very simple fact. Seems that I have expressed myself very poorly.

The above hypothetical should illustrate why your method is flawed.
It's not "bad" exactly, nor is it entirely wrong. It just doesn't
figure everything into the equation.

It is not a method for anything, nor an equation, it is just a measurement. I don't pretend those facts to be a useful measure to reasonably conclude anything. Of course you still need to take into account several other measurements to fit into any theory...

--
Eduardo Grosclaude
Universidad Nacional del Comahue