RE: [CentOS] Speaking of 3Ware/RAID/SATA/9550SX...

On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 at 11:00am, Mark Schoonover wrote

Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:

How is your array setup?  You can *not* boot from a device >4TiB.  On
such a device, you must use a gpt disklabel and neither grub nor LILO
support such.

My array size is 4.5TB. It's just one large single RAID5, so it's slightly
less than 4.5TB. So, what you're saying then is to either put a small single
HD to install CentOS, or make the array smaller than 4.5TB. I could easily
make something much smaller, say ~1TB, install CentOS on that. Once that's
finished, create the rest of the array as another array at the size that I
need. Could use LVM to stitch it all together...

What I tend to do is have a secondary controller (e.g. a 8006-2) with 2 drives as a simple mirror for the OS, and then use all the drives on the 9550 for the data partition. My latest system even has those 2 drives in a hot-swap carrier accessible from the back (in addition to the 24 drives accessible from the front).

But, yes, creating multiple arrays (or enabling auto-carving on the 3ware) will work as well.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering