Re: [CentOS] Hosting

Mace Eliason wrote:
Hi
I am using Centos 4.3 to host various web sites that I maintain. I am finding that I am getting more and more, and I have thought of setting up a hosting server to make things quicker for my self. I have setup webmin with virtualmin and it seems to work fine so far. What is everyone else using. I don't want to invest alot of money, but would like some thing that is quick and easy to setup a domain and mysql database, ftp etc. Right now I have to edit httpd, etc etc. Thanks Mace
I use Webmin and am really happy with it. No, it doesn't have the automated powers of Plesk or Cpanel, but it doesn't have any limitations that I know of. (and you can always script those additional packages on install)

I have many times customized accounts via the command-line. So far, Webmin has never balked. To my understanding, Plesk and Cpanel need you to operate totally under their GUI (or by knowing the GUI inside and out), which to me limits my abilities. If you're doing nothing but plain Jane hosting, the others would be better.. but if you want to keep the hands on control when you want it... Webmin is likely the better choice. Actually, Webmin has taught me a lot.. alternative ways of doing things. Viewing what Webmin does in the config files and where is a great learning tool.

I would not have recommended it a couple of years ago.. but I do think it has come along into a very nice application and has some really good backing by Open Country.

Best,
John Hinton