Re: [CentOS] How to display 2nd HDD

On 03/07/06, Kirti S. Bajwa <kbajwa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
NO I did not mount the partition.

How the name for the SLAVE device is assigned? In your example, you have
used 'sdb1'. My understanding is that the SLAVE drive should be listed in
/etc/fstab or /etc/mtab. Neither of these files exist.

I am a newbie, so any help is appreciated.

The following will list the disks and their partitions...

# fdisk -l

/dev/hda is probably already partitioned and mounted. I'd guess your
old unmounted disk will be /dev/hdb, possibly /dev/hdc or hdd. If the
partitions are labelled you'll be able to tell what they were mounted
as with...

# e2label /dev/hdbN

... where N is the partition no. of each slice on the disk as revealed by fdisk.

Then you can mount these partitions somewhere temporarily to have a
root around in them/copy stuff out. For each partition...

# mkdir /mnt/old-disk-hdbN
# mount /dev/hdbN /mnt/old-disk-hdbN

Will.