Re: [CentOS] Syslog

William L. Maltby wrote:
On Tue, 2006-06-27 at 15:30 -0400, Sam Drinkard wrote:
William L. Maltby wrote:

On Tue, 2006-06-27 at 15:02 -0400, Sam Drinkard wrote:
Jason Bradley Nance wrote:
<snip>

Your syslogd config file still intact?
Yes, /etc/syslogd.conf is still intact, and nothing has been changed at all. The problem apparently started at least on May 28, which is the date of /var/log/messages.4, and it and all the rest are size of 0. Just wondering if the last update I did had something to do with it. According to the yum log, a new kernel was installed on the 30th, and between there and now, there have been a few updates to spamassassin, mysql, mailman, mysql-server, kdebase and sendmail. Nothing else updated.

Maybe a "find -type f -newer SomeFileName" in the /etc and /var
directories will get a pointer for you? If it's related to that install.

And maybe a "find / -name '*messag*'" just in case it's off in some
other (chrooted) directory? Any rpmsave or rpmnew files laying around
that might have been needed? Done a "dmesg"

Yep.. just did a find, and there are all kind of message* files, many of which I know what are, others I have no clue, but I suspect they are OK. dmesg does not give any clues either.
How about a lock file somewhere?  Lemme check that....