Re: [CentOS] Which libtiff 3.8.2 do I grab?

Robert Moskowitz wrote:
At 03:27 PM 5/26/2006, Dan Trainor wrote:

Robert Moskowitz wrote:

At 02:35 PM 5/26/2006, Dan Trainor wrote:

Robert Moskowitz wrote:

Via google:  libtiff 3.8.2
http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/idpl/2839214/com/libtiff-3.8.2-2.x86_64.rpm.html This got me to a page all about libtiff 3.8.2 for 'Fedora other' and a link
http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3?stat=3&search=libtiff&srodzaj=3
for other distributions.
So which do I take?
? http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/idpl/2845370/com/libtiff-3.8.2-2.i386.rpm.html
please, I really want to get this going!

Hi -

I do not believe that libtiff 3.8.2 is available for CentOS - only 3.6.1-8 and 3.6.1-10.

Remember, the goal of the CentOS project is not to provide bleeding edge software, so you may well get stuck with a slightly older version.

So the Asterisk AT Home gang that have built on Centos may have a real problem with spandsp.

Hi, RObert -

Well, no - not necessarily. Remember, we try to keep as close to RHEL as we can. In fact, I don't know of anything that's actually modified to be special for CentOS, aside from the usual.

The *@home guys probably built their own RPMs or installs for their setup. Even though it's based on CentOS, doesn't mean it has to BE CentOS - it could be a heavily modified version, including additional libraries which are mroe bleeding edge, e.g. libtiff-3.8.2.

Hope that clears some thigns up for you.

I know the Centos philosophy. I have a number of Centos servers here and building more. My mail server is Scalix running on Centos.

The AAH people (actually one person according to the sourceforge page) has done a great you adding the best Asterisk products on top of Centos. The libtiff-3.6.1-10 is from Centos 4.3. Sometime back Centos had libtiff 3.6.0 which the spandsp author said works well and that 3.6.1 is broken.

So those of us doing a new install are finding out that faxing is not working. So I (and many others) have to replace libtiff with either the older working version or 3.8.2. And when AAH 2.9 comes out with finally an update mechanism (instead of a reinstall), hopefully the right libtiff will be in the AAH iso.

Robert -

I am not doubting that you understand the CentOS philosophy by any means. Sometimes I find it necessary to do tweaks such as this one, for example with PHP and MySQL RPMs. I just try to keep it as close as I can to the "stock" CentOS distribution as I can, for obvious reasons.

Just wanted to clarify.

Thanks!
-dant