Re: [CentOS] New member, new OS, old Tao user

Mr. Davis,
----- Original Message ----- From: "Lance Davis" <lance@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "David Parsley" <parsley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, May 26, 2006 12:05 PM
Subject: Re: [CentOS] New member, new OS, old Tao user

On Fri, 26 May 2006, Steve Campbell wrote:

Mr. Parsley, the main man at the Tao Linux group, has announced that he will
no longer be able to do his thing for Tao Linux.

Where has that been announced ???

Mr. Parsley notified members of the Tao list that this was forthcoming. I don't suppose he had much reason to 'publicly' announce the decision. It was a personal decision that everyone would agree with, and I have all the respect in the world for him in making his decision.

Just recently, I had
decided to investigate CentOS 4 before his announcement, and liked a lot of
what I saw. Due to the Tao announcement, I have decided that CentOS will
"have" to be the OS for my company in the future. Hence, my new membership
to this list.

Welcome ...

Thank you. I look forward to "meeting" all of you in the CentOS lists.

I would like any opionions any of you may have to offer, and perhaps, some
suggestions on migration to CentOS 3.7 from Tao 1 Update 6.

I have usually applied updates only when needed on my current servers. Some cannot be updated due to the commercial applications being ran on them. So
my first concern is the lateral migration to make CentOS 3 work on my
current Tao 1 machines.

The migration to CentOS 3 should be fairly seamless. As you say - the
package source is the same.

We need to work out a migration mechanism, but mainly it will involve
changes to config files. We would obviously like to do some testing to
make sure that there are no nasties lurking.

That would be great. I found a link in the archives that make some quick suggestions on how to approach this. It was for the S390 version, but it appears to be a great starting point.

One issue may be if you have used the 'protectbase' extra that tao added
to yum.  We do have a version of yum 2.4 ready for CentOS 3.x , that will
provide equivalent functionality (and lots more) - which we will expedite
into testing.

I use it on some machines, and others I skip.

Regards

Lance Davis

Thanks for the fast responses I am seeing.

--
uklinux.net -
The ISP of choice for the discerning Linux user.