Checking out yum localinstall before installing

I want to just see what will happen (ie success, or some dependencies
still cannot be met) with:

yum localinstall whatever.rpm

I ASSuME (I have googled for this, but it is not clear) that
localinstall will take the rpm, install it, and go to the yum repro
to meet any outstanding dependencies.

I just want to test this right now, not actually do it.  I want to
know what yum would install from the repro as well.