Re: Issue After upgrading from Centos 8 stream to Centos stream 9

On Mon, 12 Aug 2024 at 06:17, <nitishguntupalli98@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Team
>
> Recently i had upgraded my os from centos 8 to centos 9
> while giving yum update some problems are triggering and there is error
> with GPG key getting key not found.
> can anyone provide me with steps for upgrading from centos8 to centos 9

There is no approved way of upgrading from CentOS Stream 8 to CentOS Stream
9 except for a clean reinstall. This is part of the nature of how the
current CentOS Stream  is set up and works.

Upgrading from major release to major release is currently an Expert Level
skill with a large chance of failure even if you know what you are doing.

0. Make backups of the system and if possible clone to another system to
figure out what things must be done.
1. Itemize what repositories and exterior repositories are installed (EPEL,
RPMfusion, RemiPHP, COPRs, etc).
2. Itemize the currently installed RPMS.
3. If possible locally download all RPMs of CentOS Stream 9 and needed repos
4. On CentOS Stream 8, you will need to either remove all modules or set
them to the 'default' set versus any others.
5. Backup again everything in /etc/, possibly in /root so you can copy
stuff.
6. Confirm you have working root passwords and if remote, that you have
serial  or BMC access to the system.
7. Upgrade the centos-release package and anyother packages needed to
complete the transaction.
8. `dnf update`
9. Determine what problems `dnf` runs into and see if package removal or
addition is needed to make it work by using local rpms.
10. `dnf update`
11. reboot.
12. probably restore the system from backups, and try again..
13. if it did work, start working on all the major configuration changes in
programs from 8 to 9.

OR

1. backup the system
2. itemize installed packages and configurations.
3. install a virtual machine with 9 and similar packages and
configurations.. determine what works or fails and needs fixing. Put all
changes into configuration management of some sort (shell scripts in git
count)
4. reinstall system with CentOS Stream Linux 9
5. apply new configurations
6. fix things missed OR restore CS8 from backups.

> Thanks in advance

Stephen Smoogen, Red Hat Automotive
Let us be kind to one another, for most of us are fighting a hard battle.
-- Ian MacClaren