Phantom name server

I have a CentOS stream 8 system (C8) which runs its own internal
name server (BIND 9). In the past, it used an external name server
on another machine but that server has been stopped. The resolv.conf
file on C8 has been modified to remove the reference to the old
server and NetworkManager has been restarted. However, CUPS and
other programs on C8 continue to send queries to the old server,
all of which eventually time out (of course). The bogus queries to
the old server are answered with ICMP destination/port unreachable,
confirming that the old name server is not running. But these bogus
queries take time and the delays are very annoying.

I've also restarted CUPS without effect. There are no references to the
old server in /etc/named.conf, but there are references to the subnet
it was on as there are other machines there that need to use the new
name server. I haven't yet rebooted C8 but I'm prepared if necessary.

Is there something else I should do before rebooting C8? Is that even
likely to solve the problem?
--
         Dave Close, Compata, Irvine CA       +1 714 434 7359
       dave@xxxxxxxxxxx              dhclose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx