Re: how to use an own ks.cfg booting from a usb-device (centos 8 & 9)

On Thursday 04 January 2024 11:02:27 Ralf Prengel wrote:
> Zitat von "Christer M. Fekjan" <drift.CentOS.i02@xxxxxx>:
> > Hello Ralf,
> >
> > Does your kickstart file contain all obligatory settings? Like e.g.
> > language. Otherwise the installation will prompt for these, at least it
> > did in previous CentOS versions.
> >
> > In my kickstart file I have these settings for an old CentOS 5 version
> > (used ks a lot then):
> > # use whatever fits you
> > # System keyboard
> > keyboard no
> > # System language
> > lang nb_NO
> >
> > From a running CentOS 7 system's kickstart files (generated from the
> > installation):
> > - /root/anaconda-ks.cfg and/or
> > - /root/initial-setup-ks.cfg
> > # Keyboard layouts
> > keyboard --vckeymap=no --xlayouts='no'
> > # System language
> > lang en_US.UTF-8
> >
> > As you see, the directives for v5 and v7 differs slightly. I don't know
> > whether v5 directives would work on v7 or the other way around.
> > Anyway, if you
> > install a system manually, copying the necessary configuration
> > directives from
> > the then generated /root/*ks.cfg-files should give you a working ks-file.
> >
> > Also check that the path to the ks-file is correct. If possible host it
> > on a webserver or any other way you can check, by logs or other means,
> > that the ks-
> > file is requested and correctly retrieved.
> >
> > Good luck, hope it helps!
> >
> > Kind regards,
> > Christer M. Fekjan
>
> Hallo,
> thanks for the hints.
> In which file do you refere to the ks.cfg and which syntax are you using?
> Is it isolinux.cg?
>
> Ralf

Short version: I guess you can use a network (or local) install media, enter
"Edit boot command line" (or something similar) and add something like:
ks=http://example.local/kickstart ksdevice=eth0
I remember fiddling with a ks-file on a USB stick, but had no luck with that.

But this is (close to) what I actually did:
Back in those days I mostly used dhcp config to start my installations:
host host.local {
        hardware ethernet 01:23:45:67:89:ab;
        fixed-address 10.0.0.10;
        option host-name "host.local";
		next-server tftp-server.local;
        filename "/pxelinux.0";
}
pxelinux.0 was copied from (network) boot media and hosted on tftp-server.

/tftpboot/menu/x86_64.msg contained:
"Default choice will boot in a moment. Please wait ...

DEFAULT: Boot from local disk
      1: Install CentOS 5.4 - with USB and PCMCIA       (Laptop)
      2: Install CentOS 5.4 - with USB / without PCMCIA (Desktop/Server)
      3: Install CentOS 5.4 - without USB / with PCMCIA
      4: Install CentOS 5.4 - without USB and PCMCIA    (Server)
"
Then a dhcp config file for each host identified by its network MAC address,
eg. 01-23-45-67-89-ab. See attached file.
The syntax in the append lines can also be used directly at the boot command
line on the network (or any?) install media, if I remember correctly. Mark:
These are old CentOS 5 examples, read the current kernel doc for any changes.
The attached file is from another setup than the above examples, thus there
_might_ be some missing pieces.

Hope it helps.

Kind regards,
Christer

# /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/01-23-45-67-89-ab
prompt 1
default local
timeout 20
display menu/386.msg

# Default: Boot from local disk
label local
        LOCALBOOT 0

# Install CentOS 5.5 with USB and PCMCIA
label 1
        kernel CentOS/5.5/i386/vmlinuz
        append initrd=CentOS/5.5/i386/initrd.img ks=http://example.local/kickstart?os=CentOS&osVer=5.5&arch=i386 ksdevice=eth0

# Install CentOS 5.5 with USB, without PCMCIA
label 2
        kernel CentOS/5.5/i386/vmlinuz
        append initrd=CentOS/5.5/i386/initrd.img ks=http://example.local/kickstart?os=CentOS&osVer=5.5&arch=i386 ksdevice=eth0 nopcmcia

# Install CentOS 5.5 without USB, with PCMCIA
label 3
        kernel CentOS/5.5/i386/vmlinuz
        append initrd=CentOS/5.5/i386/initrd.img ks=http://example.local/kickstart?os=CentOS&osVer=5.5&arch=i386 ksdevice=eth0 nousb

# Install CentOS 5.5 without USB and PCMCIA
label 4
        kernel CentOS/5.5/i386/vmlinuz
        append initrd=CentOS/5.5/i386/initrd.img ks=http://example.local/kickstart?os=CentOS&osVer=5.5&arch=i386 ksdevice=eth0 nousb nopcmcia

# possible append parameters: