Re: C7, removing zoom problem

On 2/5/23 5:19 PM, Simon Matter wrote:
Hi

Guys, I'm trying to update my zoom client and yum (or yumex) won't let me
do an update, so I try to remove the installed one, on the theory that if
it isn't there I should be able to install a newer one, by doing "sudo yum
remove zoom_x86_64" (where my PWD is the directory where the zoom RPM
files
live) and it tells me "no packages marked for removal.
This should tell you the real name of the package

rpm -qa zoom\*

Then rpm -e zoom... should remove it.

That said, I've never used zoom so I don't really know if they do
something special.

Regards,
Simon

Looking at https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/204206269-Installing-or-updating-Zoom-on-Linux#h_c3eadf5f-1311-4d38-972e-dd8868353ccb

You should use:   sudo yum remove zoom

Commercial companies are notorious for renaming their RPM's to different filenames than what the package variables set.  The filename has no bearing on the package name when installed.  In this case, the download is called "zoom_x86_64.rpm" but it's real rpm filename with the typical name-version-release.arch may be queried from the download file itself:

rpm -q --qf='%{name}-%{version}-%{release}.%{arch}\n' -p ./zoom_x86_64.rpm
zoom-5.13.5.431-1.x86_64

As you can see, the real package name is "zoom".

"sudo rpm -ev zoom" would also be a fine option.