Re: centos 8-Streams kernel?

Heh,

Your sentiments on the website very much mirror my own, although I’m more focused on server applications rather than on desktop (we use Macs and Ubuntu for that). When Red Hat announced Streams, I was terrified at first and my first instinct was to switch to Rocky or a similar 1:1 distro, but then thought there might be something good coming out of the whole ordeal. And indeed it did, we used to run centos on test and RHEL on live systems and having packages (especially kernel) on test a bit in front of the live systems (instead of a bit behind like with the old centos) turned out to be very useful. We were able to catch a nasty lockup bug in a series of kernels around RHEL 8.6, report it, follow its resolution, and although Red Hat did end up releasing an official RHEL kernel with the bug for whatever reason, we were able to avoid it in production, and all was good. Exactly what you want from a distro like Streams. Exactly what Red Hat would expect to get from a distro like Streams, right?

However, now that streams kernel has been behind RHEL for months, I begin to wonder, is it a symptom of something? What? Change of direction or simple lack of resources (recession and quiet quitting and all that jazz)? Is it time to switch to the old way (i.e. Rocky) again?