Re: LibreOffice on CentOS 7

--On Wednesday, November 02, 2022 3:53 PM +0000 jefflpost@xxxxxxx wrote:

 A general dislike of anything that gets between the operating system
and an application potentially introducing its own complications.

Such problems are inevitable when you choose the long-term stability of an old operating system like RHEL. There will always be a tug-of-war between the needs of bleeding-edge apps and the aging OS. Apps want to use features in the latest libraries. So they're either crippled when run on the older OS or they carry more recent copies of those libraries with them, solely for their own use.

I'm a fan of sandboxing for security. I've installed web applications (like NodeRED and WordPress) in their own user directories to protect the OS. The trendy solution is containers. I'm worried about how easy it is to back those up. Do I back up the contents, or the whole container file? Ideally I'd just need to incrementally back up the locally-changing part, the configuration and data, since the installer has everything else. The other solution is OS-independent packaging, like those you named. I wasn't familiary with them so I looked them up:

<https://phoenixnap.com/kb/flatpak-vs-snap-vs-appimage>